One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of an amount) almost; very nearly.‘he spent close to 30 years in jail’
- ‘It made the Mughal army supremely powerful and effective for close on 150 years.’
- ‘Before the end of the weekend it is estimated that he lost close to a million pounds in deals.’
- ‘My band has spent close on a year recording our first album.’
- ‘When you add up both candidates' programmes, they amount to close on $3 trillion each.’
- ‘I moved down to Durham, North Carolina and was there for close to 5 months.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.