One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Used to describe encounters involving increasing degrees of complexity and apparent exposure of the witness to aliens.
- ‘Many people think that this equation actually proves the existence of extraterrestrial intelligence and some even believe that a close encounter of the third kind could be just around the corner.’
- ‘Did dozens of people experience a close encounter of the first kind?’
- ‘I'm trying my best to keep a serious face while John goes on about his close encounters of the third kind.’
- ‘I need some expert advice on a vision or potential close encounter of the first kind.’
- ‘A year later, after spending countless hours trying to bond with his father, he has a close encounter of the third kind.’
- ‘Of the 5,254 reported UFO sightings since 1989, 35 are close encounters of the fourth kind.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.