One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Muscular spasm involving repeated, often rhythmic, contractions.‘the patient suffered partial seizures accompanied with clonus in the left arm’
muscle spasm, muscular spasm, muscle contraction, muscular contraction, pang, twingeView synonyms
- ‘He was getting clonus in his quads which made him more and more unsteady.’
- ‘Medication is indicated when stiffness, spasms, or clonus interferes with function or sleep.’
- ‘The patient should be tested for deep tendon reflexes and clonus.’
- ‘Physical examination revealed left ankle clonus, positive Babinski sign on the left, and left lower extremity weakness.’
- ‘Strictly speaking this is classed as clonus rather than tremor.’
Early 19th century: from Greek klonos ‘turmoil’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.