Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A person or thing that clogs something:‘pore-cloggers’
- ‘It is a dietary mantra that has bordered on the fanatic: fat is a killer and a clogger and it furs your arteries.’
- ‘I looked at the menu again and it quite clearly said you could purchase individual portions of bacon, sausage, fried eggs, beans and the usual cholesterol cloggers.’
- ‘But the donuts themselves are artery cloggers and aesthetically a mess, I think.’
- ‘Hair is a common bathroom drain clogger.’
2British informal A footballer who habitually fouls other players when tackling:‘I was a right clogger, always kicking people’
- ‘Titans DTs Robaire Smith and Albert Haynesworth are cloggers who have to slow Lewis down before he reaches the second level.’
- ‘Calderwood, to his credit, admires quick and classy defenders as opposed to the kind of cloggers who reduce football to its lowest common denominator.’
- ‘We all like to call the old German clogger Schadenfreude off the bench from time to time.’
- ‘The cloggers have gone, for the most part, because referees have long since been alerted to blatant physical assault.’
- ‘It never will be so long as we have people like Wilkinson running our game who prefer cloggers to artists.’
- ‘No one wants to see a team of hatchet men and cloggers, but a ruthless, mean, win-at-all-costs streak is definitely missing.’
- ‘No-one wants to see a team of cloggers but again it was no coincidence that away from home City conceded just four free-kicks.’
3A person who makes clogs.
- ‘"Grandad" was Walter Hurst of Hindley, who later had six cloggers and a shoe repairer working for him.’
- ‘Unlike the clogger, the village craftsman used a great deal of sycamore.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.