One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A dance performed in clogs with rhythmic beating of the feet, especially as a traditional dance in Ireland, Scotland, and the North of England.
- ‘This Brazilian team, however, has about as much relevance to the samba as a clog dance.’
- ‘They are also invited to join a clog dance or take some time to paint the clogs at a workshop.’
- ‘Although very ragged, and very under rehearsed, the audience took them to their hearts, especially during the clog dance.’
- ‘When making this one I tried to incorporate elements that I hadn't used before, such as the northern element of the dances: the clog dance tunes, and of course the brass.’
- 1.1 A North American country tap dance performed in clogs with rhythmic beating of the feet.
- ‘Trace the history of this uniquely American form from old-time Appalachian music to Western Swing and Bluegrass, topped with a country clog dance.’
- ‘The clog dance is continually in a state of change and improvisation such that today it is performed not only to country and bluegrass music but also to pop.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.