One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A foolish, awkward, or clumsy person.
idiot, ass, halfwit, nincompoop, blockhead, buffoon, dunce, dolt, ignoramus, cretin, imbecile, dullard, moron, simpleton, clodView synonyms
- ‘‘Come,’ thought I, ‘it's quite time, after that, for the honour of the academy, to beat a retreat, or we shall be beaten hollow by this heavy-shod clodpole.’’
- ‘The doors are then thrown open, and the lucky clodpole receives the titbit as his recompense.’
- ‘But at least it had the effect of compelling the clodpoles who run world cricket to snap out of their dream world.’
- ‘Hayseeds, hicks and clodpoles were assumed to be the only ones who really wanted or needed the loud, scary and icky things.’
- ‘Snug was "a most gentle" impersonation of the country clodpole.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.