One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A foolish, awkward, or clumsy person.
idiot, ass, halfwit, nincompoop, blockhead, buffoon, dunce, dolt, ignoramus, cretin, imbecile, dullard, moron, simpleton, clodView synonyms
- ‘‘Come,’ thought I, ‘it's quite time, after that, for the honour of the academy, to beat a retreat, or we shall be beaten hollow by this heavy-shod clodpole.’’
- ‘The doors are then thrown open, and the lucky clodpole receives the titbit as his recompense.’
- ‘But at least it had the effect of compelling the clodpoles who run world cricket to snap out of their dream world.’
- ‘Snug was "a most gentle" impersonation of the country clodpole.’
- ‘Hayseeds, hicks and clodpoles were assumed to be the only ones who really wanted or needed the loud, scary and icky things.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.