One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Foolish, awkward, or clumsy.
uncivilized, uncultured, uncultivated, unrefined, unpolished, unsophisticated, common, low, plebeian, philistine, rough, coarse, provincial, rustic, crude, gross, loutish, hooligan, boorish, oafishView synonyms
- ‘In the Indian tradition, their form of dance could be tripping the light fantastic above ours, not clodhopping beneath.’
- ‘But I shook my head steadily from side to side and kept my toes curled tightly so that even if they used force they would never get those clodhopping shoes on me.’
- ‘A clodhopping version of Chase, the Moroder's theme from Midnight Express, only diminishes the enterprise.’
- ‘Not because they're a bunch of clodhopping yokels - well, not entirely - but because rabbits have the ability to destroy their precious island.’
- ‘It makes something like The Hours, or worse, Far from Heaven, look very clodhopping indeed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.