One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1British A person who illegally winds back the milometer of a car.
- ‘A proficient clocker can complete a rollback job in a matter of minutes.’
- ‘It was hoped that fitting digital odometers to cars would end the practice of clocking, but clockers are using computerised equipment to wind back the mileage readings.’
2US A drug dealer, especially one who sells cocaine or crack.
- ‘First, in reconceptualizing the narrative, Lee focuses on Strike, a young drug dealer, or clocker.’
- ‘By all accounts, Rocco is correct to look to Strike for the murder, since Strike is the homeboy, the clocker, the criminal with a record.’
- ‘At the beginning of the film, there is little to differentiate Strike from his clocker counterparts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.