One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1British A person who illegally winds back the milometer of a car.
- ‘A proficient clocker can complete a rollback job in a matter of minutes.’
- ‘It was hoped that fitting digital odometers to cars would end the practice of clocking, but clockers are using computerised equipment to wind back the mileage readings.’
2US A drug dealer, especially one who sells cocaine or crack.
- ‘First, in reconceptualizing the narrative, Lee focuses on Strike, a young drug dealer, or clocker.’
- ‘At the beginning of the film, there is little to differentiate Strike from his clocker counterparts.’
- ‘By all accounts, Rocco is correct to look to Strike for the murder, since Strike is the homeboy, the clocker, the criminal with a record.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.