One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tower, typically forming part of a church or civic building, with a large clock at the top.
- ‘I can't see any benefit in a lighthouse, a clock tower and a series of boat docks to the general public or holidaymaker.’
- ‘The building had a clock tower at the top and large, narrow windows on the sides.’
- ‘The curve and the clock tower are enough to make the building recognizable from anywhere.’
- ‘Atop the clock tower of Stark County's court house, four gilded angels look across the rolling landscape south of Cleveland.’
- ‘The clock tower, Nelson's refuge, represents the legacy of genteel white male Ivory Tower privilege.’
- ‘She was heading toward the clock tower… the biggest building in the city.’
- ‘With its clock tower and archway, ‘It could probably be the nicest building in Atlanta,’ he says.’
- ‘They walked back into Clock Town and sat down near the clock tower.’
- ‘I did the clock tower stunt a long time ago in Project A.’
- ‘The two fought on the clock tower's narrow edge.’
- ‘It was then he heard the ringing chimes of the clock tower.’
- ‘All of the clock tower of St Saviour's Church, now home to the Archaeological Resource Centre, is also a dedicated memorial.’
- ‘He shielded his eyes to look up at the school clock tower, rising high above a sprawling mass of buildings and halls.’
- ‘I decided to climb the clock tower in the main street.’
- ‘We reached our last farm of impressive brick buildings, with a clock tower in a stable yard.’
- ‘Straight before him rose the famous clock tower known as Big Ben.’
- ‘The artist has used as a pattern a postcard with a Swiss clock tower and buildings.’
- ‘Besides the foundation and its eight institutes, the island houses a magnificent church and an imposing clock tower.’
- ‘The clock tower of the Synagogue is undergoing renovation with financial assistance from the World Monument Fund, New York.’
- ‘The red-brick façade of the Grade II listed building will be retained along with the clock tower.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.