One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An unstressed word that normally occurs only in combination with another word, for example 'm in I'm.
- ‘Except for Obi-Wan, the good guys in the Star Wars original trilogy all spoke colloquial American English, clitics and all.’
- ‘The parameter of choosiness vs. promiscuity is crucial in differentiating the categories of word, affix, and clitic.’
- ‘In more prestigious varieties of Spanish, the clitic and object noun phrase are in complementary distribution (La vi or Vi a la mujer).’
- ‘Null objects are allowed in many languages despite the absence of an object-identifying clitic or a verb - object agreement feature.’
- ‘This is the sense that appeared with clitic dative subject in meseems.’
1940s: from (en)clitic and (pro)clitic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.