One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bus conductress.
- ‘But though the days of clippies and extended tea breaks may be long gone, retired Scarborough driver Charlie Bullock is determined to turn up in his coffin aboard his old double-decker.’
- ‘Passengers made the journey aboard the vintage buses, including several veteran drivers and clippies in their seventies and eighties.’
- ‘The first 16 Bradford post-war clippies were given their passing out lecture by their tutor.’
- ‘In London and Birmingham, trams and buses were manned by drivers and conductors; the latter also known as clippies.’
- ‘If push comes to shove, many women MSPs could convincingly take on the role of clippies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.