One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A small board with a spring clip at the top, used for holding papers and providing support for writing.
- ‘Miss Case was not writing anymore and her clipboard and paper were sitting down on the table where she left them.’
- ‘Pam has a clipboard and paper in her lap and she's scribbling things about Lucian on it from what I can see.’
- ‘Mikki attached her magnetic pen to the clip of the clipboard and stood up.’
- ‘Dr. Martin replied, straightening his tie and clipping a new set of papers into his clipboard.’
- ‘There was a desk in the corner, holding a myriad of papers and clipboards, and a faded black arm chair stood in the middle of the room.’
- ‘He marked something down on the sheet of paper attached to his clipboard.’
- ‘The middle-aged woman adjusted her reading glasses as she sorted through numerous clipboards of paper.’
- ‘She flipped over the paper on her clipboard, and on the blank side she drew a diagram of the four U-shaped floors.’
- ‘He glanced down at the papers on her clipboard, comparing them to the readings on the machine next to his bed.’
- ‘In the backstage area, just about everyone except the competitors has crowded around clipboards full of paper.’
- ‘He flung his arms wildly, causing the papers on the clipboard to go flying around.’
- ‘Another security frontline is quietly watched over by a French executive armed with a clipboard and flow charts.’
- ‘She picked up the quill Ady offered her and signed the paper, returning the clipboard.’
- ‘The hall was noisy, petitioners wandered to and fro carrying materials and clipboards.’
- ‘He specifically recalled the grower's notes because they were clipped to a clipboard on the dashboard.’
- ‘He is holding a clipboard with papers attached and taking a pen from his pocket, he hands them over to Cassie.’
- ‘The constable did not carry a clipboard, file or anything of the like.’
- ‘The men and women glanced at each other, some of them writing on their clipboards.’
- ‘The nurse took the papers from the clipboard and gave them to a doctor.’
- ‘Right now, pictures of known terrorists are left hanging on clipboards back at the precinct house.’
- 1.1Computing A temporary storage area where material cut or copied from a file is kept for pasting into another file.
- ‘Right after the capture you can send the screenshot to the clipboard or to a file.’
- ‘Basically, the clipboard is a temporary storage area where you can save and retrieve data.’
- ‘This is an example of how the Windows clipboard can copy and paste text to another location.’
- ‘In addition, the data can be logged, exported in a variety of formats, or even copied to the clipboard.’
- ‘Both the charts and the map data can be printed, saved to files, or copied to the Windows clipboard.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.