Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A wall at a sports centre or in a gymnasium fitted with attachments to simulate a rock face for climbing practice.
- ‘At one end, a scary climbing wall that made me glad I wasn't a rock climber stood overlooking the arena.’
- ‘For the brave there was a chance to try the Army's aerial rope slide or tackle a climbing wall.’
- ‘In 1993, the first indoor climbing gym opened in Seattle and soon climbing walls started appearing in malls and gyms all over the country.’
- ‘A great way to get the ‘feel’ of the climbing wall is bouldering.’
- ‘The powerfully built, charismatic dancer bounds around the stage like Spiderman - climbing walls, scaling tall fences, spiraling in the air, and swooping across the stage.’
- ‘I went to the climbing wall that day as usual to train, and found my PE teacher waiting for me along with a bunch of my friends.’
- ‘The only wall I'd ever climbed before was a climbing wall, and nothing waited at the top of that.’
- ‘The team also visited the Ice Factory which contains a large indoor climbing wall as well as the largest indoor ice climbing wall in Europe.’
- ‘Explore by foot on guided nature hikes and polish your rock climbing on a climbing wall.’
- ‘Written logs tell you the history of the rope at the climbing wall.’
- ‘It's a mini assault course with rope bridges to cross and a climbing wall.’
- ‘He and Adam tackled a climbing wall and small arms training simulation, and the family were guests of honour in the sergeants' mess for lunch.’
- ‘Climbing is becoming a more and more popular activity at the school and many youngsters regularly travel to Bristol to practise on the climbing wall.’
- ‘It is also seeking funding for a purpose-built centre containing a climbing wall and a dance studio.’
- ‘What about your wife, what does she think of it all, the climbing wall in your apartment?’
- ‘Among its attractions is a 40,000-square-foot youth centre, complete with a climbing wall and video arcade.’
- ‘For instance, we won't cover things like diving boards or climbing walls.’
- ‘The idea is not to scale the wall to a great height, you use a climbing wall for that.’
- ‘This article will aid anyone in building a home climbing wall, by assessing your needs, choosing a design, construction tips, and choosing holds.’
- ‘All those hours of practice at my local climbing wall in Edinburgh have definitely paid off.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.