One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A wall at a sports centre or in a gymnasium fitted with attachments to simulate a rock face for climbing practice.
- ‘Written logs tell you the history of the rope at the climbing wall.’
- ‘Explore by foot on guided nature hikes and polish your rock climbing on a climbing wall.’
- ‘The only wall I'd ever climbed before was a climbing wall, and nothing waited at the top of that.’
- ‘Climbing is becoming a more and more popular activity at the school and many youngsters regularly travel to Bristol to practise on the climbing wall.’
- ‘Among its attractions is a 40,000-square-foot youth centre, complete with a climbing wall and video arcade.’
- ‘At one end, a scary climbing wall that made me glad I wasn't a rock climber stood overlooking the arena.’
- ‘For instance, we won't cover things like diving boards or climbing walls.’
- ‘The powerfully built, charismatic dancer bounds around the stage like Spiderman - climbing walls, scaling tall fences, spiraling in the air, and swooping across the stage.’
- ‘For the brave there was a chance to try the Army's aerial rope slide or tackle a climbing wall.’
- ‘The idea is not to scale the wall to a great height, you use a climbing wall for that.’
- ‘What about your wife, what does she think of it all, the climbing wall in your apartment?’
- ‘I went to the climbing wall that day as usual to train, and found my PE teacher waiting for me along with a bunch of my friends.’
- ‘A great way to get the ‘feel’ of the climbing wall is bouldering.’
- ‘All those hours of practice at my local climbing wall in Edinburgh have definitely paid off.’
- ‘This article will aid anyone in building a home climbing wall, by assessing your needs, choosing a design, construction tips, and choosing holds.’
- ‘It's a mini assault course with rope bridges to cross and a climbing wall.’
- ‘In 1993, the first indoor climbing gym opened in Seattle and soon climbing walls started appearing in malls and gyms all over the country.’
- ‘The team also visited the Ice Factory which contains a large indoor climbing wall as well as the largest indoor ice climbing wall in Europe.’
- ‘It is also seeking funding for a purpose-built centre containing a climbing wall and a dance studio.’
- ‘He and Adam tackled a climbing wall and small arms training simulation, and the family were guests of honour in the sergeants' mess for lunch.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.