Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small edible freshwater fish which is able to breathe air and move over land, native to Africa and Asia.
- ‘He cites the walking catfish, climbing perch, and mudskippers as other examples.’
- ‘The fish is called climbing perch since it can wander across land to find new habitats.’
- ‘Since the meat of the climbing perch is tasty, it is often dug up from its muddy type of hibernation as a food source.’
- ‘Both climbing perch and walking catfish are also likely to compete with native species for both food and space.’
- ‘Typically climbing perch are gray to green in color, with one dark spot at the caudal base and another just behind the gill plate.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.