One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The quality of being clever; intelligence or shrewdness.‘people marvelled at his cleverness’‘the cleverness of her strategy’
intelligence, brilliance, genius, intellectshrewdness, astuteness, sharp-wittedness, quick-wittedness, acuteness, acuityView synonyms
- ‘The failure of love punctuates much of the intellectual cleverness of Farrell's works.’
- ‘Merlin smiled inwardly at the cleverness and competence of his young student.’
- ‘However, her cleverness and talent for witty banter makes it so she never comes across as being oppressed.’
- ‘Reinventing and inverting images of Irishness, Jordan associates him with intelligence, cleverness, and wit.’
- ‘Your compilers seem to have confused cleverness with wisdom.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.