Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The quality of being clever; intelligence or shrewdness.‘people marvelled at his cleverness’‘the cleverness of her strategy’
shrewdness, astuteness, sharp-wittedness, quick-wittedness, acuteness, acuityintelligence, brilliance, genius, intellectView synonyms
- ‘The failure of love punctuates much of the intellectual cleverness of Farrell's works.’
- ‘Reinventing and inverting images of Irishness, Jordan associates him with intelligence, cleverness, and wit.’
- ‘However, her cleverness and talent for witty banter makes it so she never comes across as being oppressed.’
- ‘Merlin smiled inwardly at the cleverness and competence of his young student.’
- ‘Your compilers seem to have confused cleverness with wisdom.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.