One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A stiff upright white collar which fastens at the back, worn by the clergy in some churches.
- ‘He also wanted to wear his clerical collar on duty so had to have a specially-designed uniform shirt to accommodate it.’
- ‘The clerical collar is derived from an early 19th century form of lay neckwear.’
- ‘The Oxford Movement of the 19th century led to the adoption by many Anglican clergy of a clerical collar, certainly by the time of the First World War.’
- ‘He was a quiet, mildly alcoholic man in shabby tweeds and a clerical collar.’
- ‘The middle of the sanctuary began to fill as the service participants gathered, many in their clerical collars and stoles.’
- ‘My clerical collar finally got me into the building, but by the time I arrived at Doral's room she was nowhere to be found.’
- ‘Robbie wore a clerical collar, kilt and trainers while marrying his friend Billy Morrison, the bass guitarist with the 1980s band The Cult.’
- ‘Why, indeed, do they still wear clerical collars?’
- ‘One of them shows a kindly-looking man with a clerical collar and black suit.’
- ‘As a parish priest in Currie, Balerno and Ratho, in Midlothian, he never liked clerical collars.’
- ‘Above the clerical collar encircling his neck, his face bears the weathered scars and wrinkles indicative of someone who has survived mean times.’
- ‘Throughout his life he collected lavish Catholic icons and even went as far as to wear a clerical collar in public.’
- ‘A woman at the cocktail party, eager to be hip, asks the man in fashionable clerical collar, ‘Do you think of yourself as a spiritual person?’’
- ‘Among the women, six were wearing clerical collars, while 56 were pictured in attractive blouses or dresses.’
- ‘Police will be called and will arrive as the union delegation - some in clerical collars - is in the middle of a long and public prayer.’
- ‘His clerical collar concealed by a scarf, he asked the officer who had stopped him for a written explanation.’
- ‘He was wearing a turtleneck, no clerical collar.’
- ‘One suggestion was that I should lead the march in my clerical collar which would stop the mounted police from attacking.’
- ‘His wardrobe leaves something to be desired, too - maybe it's just me, but a clerical collar is not a sexy fashion accessory.’
- ‘A person who is drowning doesn't care at all if the person throwing a lifeline is wearing a clerical collar.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.