Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A plant of a chiefly tropical genus which includes the spider flower, noted for their long stamens.
- ‘Deep red love-lies-bleeding and cherry pink cleome flank cosmos in pink and rose shades.’
- ‘Impatiens and cleomes are two longtime favorites of the summer garden.’
- ‘Late-spring-to-frost annuals include the numerous sun coleuses, cleomes, periwinkles and zinnias.’
- ‘Tall, white cleome accent the center of each bed.’
- ‘Tall flowers, like cleome and tithonias, are planted on the outside of the fence, concealing the utilitarian purpose of the garden.’
Modern Latin, from Greek, denoting a different plant.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.