One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant of a chiefly tropical genus which includes the spider flower, noted for their long stamens.
- ‘Deep red love-lies-bleeding and cherry pink cleome flank cosmos in pink and rose shades.’
- ‘Late-spring-to-frost annuals include the numerous sun coleuses, cleomes, periwinkles and zinnias.’
- ‘Tall, white cleome accent the center of each bed.’
- ‘Impatiens and cleomes are two longtime favorites of the summer garden.’
- ‘Tall flowers, like cleome and tithonias, are planted on the outside of the fence, concealing the utilitarian purpose of the garden.’
Modern Latin, from Greek, denoting a different plant.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.