One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic drug used in the treatment of asthma and respiratory diseases and also in veterinary obstetrics. It also promotes the growth of muscle and has been used illegally by athletes to enhance performance.
- ‘It was his second offence in two years, having been banned for nine months in October 2003 after testing positive for the steroid clenbuterol.’
- ‘The CHRB also added the bronchodilator clenbuterol to its list of therapeutic medications.’
- ‘Although California allows threshold levels on several medications, clenbuterol falls under a zero tolerance policy.’
- ‘In addition, the FVO report states that clenbuterol does not legally require a veterinary prescription for purchase and use in Brazil.’
- ‘Evidence of effectiveness is surprisingly thin for most drugs, and completely absent for others, including clenbuterol and insulin.’
1970s: from c(h)l(oro-) + (ph)en(yl) + but(yl) + er + -ol.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.