Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A congenital split in the roof of the mouth.
- ‘It was indicative, as we later discovered, of the fact that she had a sub-mucous cleft palate and was unable to make a vacuum in her mouth cavity.’
- ‘A cleft palate is an opening between the roof of the mouth and the nasal cavity.’
- ‘I am 19 years old and have scoliosis and a cleft palate.’
- ‘Sometimes cleft palate is taken to mean simply a hare lip.’
- ‘More than 70 percent of babies with cleft lip also have cleft palate.’
- ‘A cleft palate occurs when the roof of the mouth has not joined completely and can also range in severity.’
- ‘And in some cases, until they have reconstructive surgery, children with cleft palates may need to wear a prosthetic palate called an obturator to help them eat properly.’
- ‘Many patients had cleft lips, cleft palates, burns, or extra or fused fingers or toes.’
- ‘Twice as many boys as girls have a cleft lip, both with and without a cleft palate.’
- ‘I have seen children born with both cleft lip and cleft palate go on to be and do just about everything and anything imaginable.’
- ‘Cleft lip and cleft palate are birth defects in which the tissues of the mouth and/or lip don't form properly during fetal development.’
- ‘The use of maxillary distraction, particularly in the cleft palate population, has allowed us to achieve levels of correction that are unattainable by other methods.’
- ‘These included cleft palates, skulls that didn't close and other deformities that affected the survival rate of kittens.’
- ‘Repair of the cleft lip begins after completion of the cleft palate repair.’
- ‘Scientists also identified genes that affirm the chicken's value as a model for study of developmental disorders like cleft palate and diseases like muscular dystrophy.’
- ‘Around 70% of babies with cleft lips also have cleft palates.’
- ‘So most children with cleft palate suffer from frequent otitis media, ear discharge and deafness.’
- ‘Does a cleft palate have anything to do with the jaw?’
- ‘Breast feeding can be difficult where the baby has a cleft palate, and some babies may need the help of special feeding equipment.’
- ‘Figure 2 provides a comparison of the anatomical features in a normal developed palate with that of a cleft palate deformity.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.