One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A congenital split in the roof of the mouth.
- ‘A cleft palate is an opening between the roof of the mouth and the nasal cavity.’
- ‘Cleft lip and cleft palate are birth defects in which the tissues of the mouth and/or lip don't form properly during fetal development.’
- ‘The use of maxillary distraction, particularly in the cleft palate population, has allowed us to achieve levels of correction that are unattainable by other methods.’
- ‘I am 19 years old and have scoliosis and a cleft palate.’
- ‘These included cleft palates, skulls that didn't close and other deformities that affected the survival rate of kittens.’
- ‘I have seen children born with both cleft lip and cleft palate go on to be and do just about everything and anything imaginable.’
- ‘A cleft palate occurs when the roof of the mouth has not joined completely and can also range in severity.’
- ‘And in some cases, until they have reconstructive surgery, children with cleft palates may need to wear a prosthetic palate called an obturator to help them eat properly.’
- ‘More than 70 percent of babies with cleft lip also have cleft palate.’
- ‘So most children with cleft palate suffer from frequent otitis media, ear discharge and deafness.’
- ‘Breast feeding can be difficult where the baby has a cleft palate, and some babies may need the help of special feeding equipment.’
- ‘Sometimes cleft palate is taken to mean simply a hare lip.’
- ‘Around 70% of babies with cleft lips also have cleft palates.’
- ‘Twice as many boys as girls have a cleft lip, both with and without a cleft palate.’
- ‘It was indicative, as we later discovered, of the fact that she had a sub-mucous cleft palate and was unable to make a vacuum in her mouth cavity.’
- ‘Figure 2 provides a comparison of the anatomical features in a normal developed palate with that of a cleft palate deformity.’
- ‘Scientists also identified genes that affirm the chicken's value as a model for study of developmental disorders like cleft palate and diseases like muscular dystrophy.’
- ‘Does a cleft palate have anything to do with the jaw?’
- ‘Repair of the cleft lip begins after completion of the cleft palate repair.’
- ‘Many patients had cleft lips, cleft palates, burns, or extra or fused fingers or toes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.