One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A congenital split in the upper lip on one or both sides of the centre, often associated with a cleft palate.
- ‘A cleft lip is a long opening between the upper lip and the nose.’
- ‘About 600 cleft lips have been corrected so far in three years.’
- ‘A cleft lip can make it more difficult for your child to suck on a nipple.’
- ‘I have seen advertisements for a cleft lip surgeon; but who will want to spend 35 years doing only one type of operation?’
- ‘Figure 1 provides a comparison of the anatomical features of a normal developed lip and nose with those of a cleft lip deformity.’
- ‘Neonates with a cleft lip or palate may have other associated syndromes or congenital anomalies.’
- ‘The hospital, third in the State, will conduct free camps to detect children with cleft lips in and around the southern districts.’
- ‘Closure of a cleft lip (incomplete formation of the lip, or ‘harelip’) in an infant is such a procedure.’
- ‘Surgical cleft lip repairs have been reported as early as 390 AD in China.’
- ‘A cleft lip is a separation of the two sides of the lip.’
- ‘A cleft lip is a condition that creates an opening in the upper lip between the mouth and nose.’
- ‘Newborns with a cleft lip or palate require genetic evaluation and plastic surgery.’
- ‘The plastic surgeons were kept very busy, he said, ‘because a large proportion of children and babies in the area are born with cleft lips and palates.’’
- ‘The most characteristic features associated with the bilateral cleft lip may include any or all of the following.’
- ‘Correction of the unilateral cleft lip nasal deformity presents a very difficult problem.’
- ‘A cleft lip can range from a simple notch in the upper lip to a complete gap in the lip running into the floor of the nostril.’
- ‘Rarely, maternal use of benzodiazepines has been associated with anomalies such as cleft lip and palate, as well as a withdrawal syndrome in the newborn.’
- ‘One explanation could be that we included people with discrete malformations associated with cleft lip and palate.’
- ‘The repaired cleft lip may be noticed in the adult as an uneven upper lip and a scar that runs from the nose down through the upper lip.’
- ‘I closed my eyes, and kept having visions of a baby with spinobifida, or down syndrome, or malformed body parts, or a cleft lip, and I got shaky.’
Cleft lip is the standard accepted term and should be used instead of harelip, which can cause offence
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.