One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for goosegrass
- ‘Weed killers remove wildflowers and traditional grasses, then more aggressive species such as cleavers, thistles and nettles colonise.’
- ‘Many such plants, including the cleavers, have the means to crawl through anything - both its stems and seeds are covered in tiny barbs.’
- ‘Finally, one other dried herb formula blends 2 parts echinacea, 1 part cleavers, 1 part goldenseal and 1 part phytolacca.’
- ‘The formula contained nettle leaf, violet leaf, wild oat seed, chamomile flowers, cleavers and fenugreek seed added to warm spearmint tea or diluted juice.’
- ‘Therefore, cleavers, a fast-growing herbaceous annual with a scrambling-ascending growth habit, was chosen for this study.’
Old English clīfe, related to cleave.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.