One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A main road other than a motorway on which vehicles are not normally permitted to stop.
street, road, roadway, avenue, boulevard, wayView synonyms
- ‘While clearways would certainly ease congestion and avoid bank-ups where multiple rail lines converge, the government's agenda is not ‘more regular services’.’
- ‘He said that although the changes to bus lanes and urban clearways would help journey times it would not provide a solution to the city's increasing traffic delays.’
- ‘Lonsdale Street is gridlocked, primarily due to a couple of people ignoring the clearway signs and parking.’
- ‘Although the cars were illegally parked in bus stop clearways, the correct signage, a big yellow B, has not yet been painted on the tarmac.’
- ‘The entire perimeter of the cordon will temporarily become a no parking clearway to facilitate through traffic, emergency vehicles and mass transport providers.’
- ‘The wide clearways or throughways, referred to as the assault routes, run from the troop assembly points to the dock and the flight deck, allowing the fully equipped troops to move quickly and efficiently into position for disembarking.’
- ‘Queens Drive is a clearway and there is no parking allowed on clearways, slip roads and lay-bys.’
- ‘But a brief reply from County Hall told the town council that plans for bus stop clearways on Long Street had now been dropped.’
- ‘The scheme will also include improvements at bus stops to make it easier to get on and off and clearways will be created to stop parked cars blocking buses from pulling in and out.’
- ‘Residents say the problem, exacerbated by drivers who fail to obey clearways (a headache for the emergency services), is not seasonal, as some suggest, but all year round.’
- ‘Queens Drive is a clearway and as such is not to be used for parking, as defined in the highway code.’
- ‘In outline, I envisage that a clearway free of media will be maintained across the bridge at all times, and that no interviews will be permitted on it.’
- ‘The timings of urban clearways - where parking and loading are not permitted at certain times to help improve traffic flow - have never been revised and are now thought to be out of step with many working patterns.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.