Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A bank which is a member of a clearing house.
financial institutionView synonyms
- ‘Much of the recommendations have been acted upon, and in the UK, the Financial Services Authority, Bank of England and clearing banks have all co-operated to raise standards of internal controls and compliance.’
- ‘It is one of the smaller clearing banks.’
- ‘That has always been the situation with the universal banks of jurisdictions like Germany, but in England the clearing banks and merchant banks were for over a century institutionally separate.’
- ‘The clearing banks make tens of millions of pounds every year from these delays.’
- ‘The banking network in the UK is the result of years of evolution by the four main clearing banks.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.