One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sale of goods at reduced prices to get rid of superfluous stock or because the shop is closing down.
- ‘The clearance sale of older publications had been effective; six older volumes are now sold out.’
- ‘Doctors, aid workers and those merely interested for posterity's sake attended a giant clearance sale at the decommissioned hospital to snap up medical and surgical equipment.’
- ‘So, off he toddled to rummage through the remnants of the clearance sale, returning not long afterwards clutching a bag that contained a rather splendid red brocade cushion destined to complete the display in the sitting room.’
- ‘By March 1, the date set for the end of the clearance sale, about $3,500 had come in from sales.’
- ‘An elderly woman who spent £1 on a painting at a household clearance sale because it would look ‘nice’ in her kitchen, has sold it for £75,250.’
- ‘The retailer revealed its annual profits would be £5m less than previously expected because its end-of-year clearance sale had been disappointing.’
- ‘It is the clearance sale of all the city's bazaars, and not in a good way.’
- ‘In 25 years the business has never had a clearance sale.’
- ‘Let's say it finds that certain items aren't moving and wants to hold a clearance sale for the coming weekend.’
- ‘The local Studebaker dealership was having a clearance sale, and I just couldn't pass it up.’
- ‘It was a clearance sale of a house recently sold.’
- ‘Take a brisk stroll through the mall and catch the holiday clearance sale.’
- ‘When I was a young lad, my father taught me there were three things you should never trust: yellow lights, seafood that has been put on clearance sale and very, very rich men.’
- ‘The clearance sale is to make way for new stock.’
- ‘These you can make yourself or pick up at yard sales or clearance sales off-season.’
- ‘The store looks like it had been it just had a clearance sale and the manager apologizes profusely to the shoppers for the chaos and confusion.’
- ‘He says the stores that sell them are running stock clearance sales just now and they're to be had for a good price.’
- ‘A clearance sale of all old pens, gates, etc., will be held at the Barrack Street site on Wednesday, January 17, before the premises is demolished and turned into a retail park.’
- ‘They had a big clearance sale, which helped the sales take off.’
- ‘He and his board must explain why a clearance sale has become their only alternative strategy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.