One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Remove dishes and cutlery from a table after a meal.‘afterwards, he cleared the table and washed up’
- ‘It had become second nature for me to clear the table for Mrs. Yates.’
- ‘In his haste to clear the table, he'd clumsily knocked most of the papers onto the floor.’
- ‘A small Thai girl who completely cleared the table with ruthless efficiency did not go unnoticed.’
- ‘Their plates were empty and Susan set about clearing the table.’
- ‘Regular staff prepare the food, a semi-permanent crew sets and clears the tables.’
- ‘She broke their gaze and went back to work on clearing the table.’
- ‘I cleared the table, keeping my disappointment at bay.’
- ‘He hailed them and hurried over to chat for a few minutes while Max cleared the tables.’
- ‘Nobody will ask you to clear the table once you are finished.’
- ‘Nurse Thomas smiled shyly as she moved quickly around the room, clearing the tables for the tea trays.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.