One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Remove dishes and cutlery from a table after a meal.‘afterwards, he cleared the table and washed up’
- ‘Nobody will ask you to clear the table once you are finished.’
- ‘In his haste to clear the table, he'd clumsily knocked most of the papers onto the floor.’
- ‘Regular staff prepare the food, a semi-permanent crew sets and clears the tables.’
- ‘Their plates were empty and Susan set about clearing the table.’
- ‘A small Thai girl who completely cleared the table with ruthless efficiency did not go unnoticed.’
- ‘She broke their gaze and went back to work on clearing the table.’
- ‘He hailed them and hurried over to chat for a few minutes while Max cleared the tables.’
- ‘Nurse Thomas smiled shyly as she moved quickly around the room, clearing the tables for the tea trays.’
- ‘I cleared the table, keeping my disappointment at bay.’
- ‘It had become second nature for me to clear the table for Mrs. Yates.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.