One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Eat up all the food put on one's plate.
- ‘I pack half the food away right then so that I can clean my plate without stuffing myself-and I have a meal for the next day.’
- ‘I continued to tell her about the new policy they issued and just let the conversation drop at that point by cleaning my plate.’
- ‘When I was growing up my parents would not allow me to leave the dinner table without cleaning my plate.’
- ‘I leave a lot on the plate because I need not clean my plate.’
- ‘It wasn't until I'd cleaned my plate that I thought to check if there were any adzuki beans.’
- ‘I cleaned my plate, to the point of taking a corn tortilla and mopping up the last cheesy queso smear.’
- ‘She ordered seafood enchiladas and cleaned her plate, an almost unheard of event and one for which I am always thankful.’
- ‘If you aren't happy with yourself, you'll always be shaken by mom and dad telling you off for not cleaning your plate.’
- ‘What gain comes from you cleaning your plate?’
- ‘I took a tentative bite and then cleaned my plate.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.