One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tennis court with a surface of hardened clay.‘she began playing on a clay court and retired as the greatest women's tennis champion of all time’
- ‘"I think that was one of the most inspired performances Greg has ever had on a clay court," Bates said.’
- ‘She received a warning from the umpire after using foul language and smashing her racket on the clay court.’
- ‘My game is coming together and I'm adjusting to the European clay court.’
- ‘She double-faulted three times and saw her long ground strokes carry out of bounds on the clay court.’
- ‘Only about 2,000 fans watched the final, played on an indoor clay court.’
- ‘The governors of the sport have homogenised court surfaces—even Wimbledon plays like a fast clay court these days—so everyone plays the same game the same way.’
- ‘Tennis Australia have spent a small fortune on laying the clay court on the assumption that it would be hosting two of the top players in the world.’
- ‘Azarenka was leading 6-2, 4-4 when the German stepped awkwardly and twisted her right ankle on the indoor red clay court.’
- ‘The clay court is a surface that you can play on all the year round.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.