One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hammer with one side of the head split and curved, used for extracting nails.
- ‘All I could do was run at full speed, bouncing the ball on the clubface as I went along - and bounce the ball on the head of a claw hammer and catch it there, the ball spinning like a top.’
- ‘Tossing the claw hammer on to the floor, he sank down to his knees.’
- ‘He remembered how his dad had lifted the floor boards with a claw hammer.’
- ‘My husband is a carpenter and I could see it was a claw hammer.’
- ‘It's like trying to remove a screw with a claw hammer; it's the wrong tool for the job.’
- ‘For instance, there's the double-claw hammer used by woodworkers and carpenters to pull up nails with more ease than a single claw hammer.’
- ‘Soon after being removed, plywood forms should be inspected for wear and cleaned with a hardwood wedge and a stiff fiber brush rather than a metal brush, hammer, or claw hammer.’
- ‘The daughter was using a claw hammer to do the job, and because the hammer was small and the ground was hard, the job was going very slowly.’
- ‘I had my cordless drill with attachments, flat tip screwdriver and a claw hammer.’
- ‘Towards the end, he has been transformed into a man, constantly on the move, containing a barely suppressed rage, which allows him to take on dozens of armed men with only a claw hammer and make threats like no one else.’
- ‘But bring safety glasses and don't use claw hammers from home to break up rock - they are too soft and the steel will splinter!’
- ‘Neither of them could have had a claw hammer big enough to pull out the railroad spikes.’
- ‘They just do not do anything for me artistically speaking, being about as exciting as a claw hammer or a nail gun.’
- ‘Unwilling to climb up, he'd elected to weight one end of the rope with a claw hammer, which he heaved heavenward in the hope it would sail over the limb.’
- ‘Setting it down in front of the door, she selected a twenty-two-ounce claw hammer and got to work.’
- ‘I keep most of my tools, but I'm not certain I have a claw hammer.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.