Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Prejudice against people belonging to a particular social class.‘they are told to be on watch against the evils of classism’
prejudice, bias, bigotry, intolerance, narrow-mindedness, unfairness, inequity, favouritism, one-sidedness, partisanshipView synonyms
- ‘Finally, how do the lenses of classism, ageism and racism, especially when applied together, enable us better to see women's position on ships?’
- ‘Another problem is that, to appeal to a human rights commission, one must document racism, sexism and classism separately.’
- ‘De-colonization is the primary issue if you oppose racism, sexism, classism and ageism.’
- ‘At these field sites, environmental degradation meets racism, xenophobia and classism.’
- ‘It's also a hotbed of classism, social climbing, and nonstop drama.’
- ‘This young-adult book examines identity, racism, classism and prejudice as the main character tries to fit in at the nearly all-white school.’
- ‘Indeed, ageism and classism seemed almost nonexistent.’
- ‘The book is a collection of self-reflective essays that focus on the impact of personal and institutional sexism, racism, classism, heterosexism and ethnocentrism on the 12 women.’
- ‘In all of society, you have racism, sexism and classism.’
- ‘Many of the questions I raise about comparisons between sexism and racism could also be raised about comparison between sexism and classism or racism and classism.’
- ‘Some of these issues include infanticide, child abuse, incest, forced marriage, marital rape, classism, ableism, and sexism.’
- ‘Some of these could include war, sexuality, oppression (racism, classism, ageism, sexism), government and economics.’
- ‘It seeks to address pressing issues affecting youth - meaning everything from curfews, book banning and skateboard laws to racism, classism and homophobia.’
- ‘The play shows how terribly wrong a white mother's privileged assumption is that she can actually protect her own child against the wrongs of racism and by extension classism and sexism as well.’
- ‘More importantly, there still exist many non-financial barriers to post-secondary education including institutionalized classism, racism and sexism.’
- ‘The goal of the social reconstructionist approach is for the participant to learn strategies for the eradication of structures of inequality such as racism, classism and sexism.’
- ‘The leftist types I hang out with can discuss this movie for hours with themes of sexism, racism, classism running throughout.’
- ‘More recently, the feminist critique, which originally centered on gender equity, has been expanded and joined by others critiquing racism, classism, heterosexism, nationalism, and so on.’
- ‘In addition, the guide includes themes that are relevant to children, parenting, to forms of oppression such as racism, classism, and homophobia, and to the general management of the hierarchy between the therapist and the client.’
- ‘Putting it in a futuristic film proclaiming that there is no more racism or classism implies that discrimination against disability is still around, inviting the audience to identify with that.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.