One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Serious music following long-established principles rather than a folk, jazz, or popular tradition.
- ‘He decided to concentrate on the instruments as an homage to jazz and classical music.’
- ‘This data set was split into two broad categories of classical music and popular music.’
- ‘He writes books of poetry but his contact with classical music had been rather limited thus far.’
- ‘Why has classical music has become less popular with the average person?’
- ‘Whereas popular music relies almost entirely on melody, classical music has development and argument.’
- ‘Most of the people do not know western jazz, western classical music and western blues.’
- ‘The intention is to reduce the air of seriousness surrounding classical music.’
- ‘They call folk music unrefined, but that's where classical music came from.’
- ‘Kim said classical music, Indian sitar, or even African reggae could all be a beneficial part of the class.’
- ‘Almost every pop music trend inflicts itself on classical music sooner or later.’
- ‘We are happy to mix classical music with choral works, movie themes, jazz, rock and folk.’
- ‘When it reopens, only 60 percent of events will consist of classical music.’
- ‘I pretty much only listen to either jazz or classical music all the time.’
- ‘He said classical music was still popular among the youth, but it needed the medium of films to generate interest.’
- ‘I like pop music but play classical music on the piano and clarinet.’
- ‘Not only have they stirred up the pop scene but they've thrown an overly serious world of classical music into a tizzy.’
- ‘Students will be taught styles in pop, rock, jazz, and classical music.’
- ‘As such, he is and remains one of the most important ambassadors for classical music.’
- ‘In fact the instrument is capable of more than calypso and is often used to play jazz and classical music.’
- ‘It is atmospheric stuff, drawing on Turkish musical traditions but also jazz and western classical music.’
- 1.1 (more specifically) music written in the European tradition during a period lasting approximately from 1750 to 1830, when forms such as the symphony, concerto, and sonata were standardized.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.