One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pair of hinged boards that are struck together at the beginning of filming to synchronize the starting of picture and sound machinery.
- ‘The name, if credited at all, is usually down there with the clapperboard guy and the gofer who fetches the clapperboard guy's coffee.’
- ‘I'm certain that, at any moment, somebody's going to snap a clapperboard shut and shout: ‘Madrid - the movie - Scene 82, take 3.’’
- ‘Each of the winners in the FÍS Film Award receives a commemorative clapperboard, which can be displayed in their school as a mark of their outstanding achievement in film-making.’
- ‘‘Hollywood comes to Dechmont,’ one village shopkeeper excitedly scrawled on a sign he put over a window display consisting of a home made clapperboard, cans of film and a projector.’
- ‘At the end they gave him a clapperboard signed by cast and crew.’
- ‘Suddenly he hears what he thinks is a clapperboard.’
- ‘Clips of deleted scenes, bloopers, rehearsals - even just the beginnings and ends of shots, with clapperboard and sound-sync beeps - have the sense of something snatched from a real event, like historical archive footage.’
- ‘'The Rising, take one, start,’ Charles said yesterday as he snapped shut a clapperboard to set the camera rolling on the set of the film at a five-star hotel in Mumbai, home of the Hindi film industry.’’
- ‘Each section features easily identifiable icons such as a clapperboard to indicate the locations for films and television sets, or a gold star to represent the birthplace of a celebrity to make the guide quick and simple to read.’
- ‘The clapperboard sounded again, as the director launched the film at a temple at AVM studios on Sunday, cheered by a surging crowd.’
- ‘An actor officially launched the mega-budget flick by sounding the clapperboard for the opening shot last week.’
- ‘I hope he didn't, from force of habit, use a clapperboard when he did his online show.’
- ‘And, last week, two days of filming took place at the school with children having the chance to direct, interview staff and fellow pupils and hold the clapperboard before each scene.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.