Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A social gathering outdoors, especially for eating clams and other seafood.
outdoor meal, al fresco meal, barbecueView synonyms
- ‘Yes, it's an old-style clambake at the Manor tonight.’
- ‘She is also a regular at the post-caucus Wednesday night clambake.’
- ‘The song is a sunny and infectious number that would sound great at a school dance or a clambake.’
- ‘When Cary shows up to a high-spirited clambake with Ron and his pals, she's uncomfortable and overdressed in a tight gray ensemble.’
- ‘The clams are then ready for a clambake, to become steamed softshell clams, or for use in certain clam chowders and clam pies.’
- ‘We had a clambake in Chicago on the 26th of September at WBBM where the debate was held.’
- ‘There is a scene in the movie where Elvis is out on the beach singing ‘We're gonna have a clambake.’’
- ‘A clambake on the Rockland seashore followed the last day's session of papers.’
- ‘Every summer, they invite all their subscribers to a clambake on Lynn Beach.’
- ‘Here, you can savor an authentic New England-style clambake.’
- ‘We went to clambakes and barbecues all over New England.’
- ‘If your idea of a relaxing vacation on the coast involves bundling up for a clambake instead of palm trees and rum punch, a trip to Cape Cod is just the ticket.’
- ‘He had volunteered to testify at the clambake as a way of putting his case to the people.’
- ‘Meanwhile, the convention soirées get under way today - there will be a clambake in Hyannis Port!’
- ‘And we are going to Provincetown to have a clambake.’
- ‘Although clambakes are traditional in the north-east of the US, barbecues and picnics are popular elsewhere.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.