Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The formation of a new group of organisms or higher taxon by evolutionary divergence from an ancestral form.
- ‘Parallel cladogenesis between host and pathogens would be indicative of ancient coevolution, a reciprocal process in which characteristics of one organism evolve in response to specific characteristics of another.’
- ‘This process of organic transformation includes anagenesis as well as cladogenesis.’
- ‘However, our results appeared sensitive to the prior model of cladogenesis, although the oldest estimates were obtained under a suboptimal model.’
- ‘In other words, the earliest species to diverge have undergone the most prolonged coevolution with their particular array of potential hosts and accordingly have become more specialized even in the absence of cladogenesis.’
- ‘However, there is little consensus as to how specialization affects diversity: does it act to increase or decrease rates of cladogenesis?’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.