Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The formation of a new group of organisms or higher taxon by evolutionary divergence from an ancestral form.
- ‘However, there is little consensus as to how specialization affects diversity: does it act to increase or decrease rates of cladogenesis?’
- ‘This process of organic transformation includes anagenesis as well as cladogenesis.’
- ‘In other words, the earliest species to diverge have undergone the most prolonged coevolution with their particular array of potential hosts and accordingly have become more specialized even in the absence of cladogenesis.’
- ‘Parallel cladogenesis between host and pathogens would be indicative of ancient coevolution, a reciprocal process in which characteristics of one organism evolve in response to specific characteristics of another.’
- ‘However, our results appeared sensitive to the prior model of cladogenesis, although the oldest estimates were obtained under a suboptimal model.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.