Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A minute branchiopod crustacean of the order Cladocera, which includes the water fleas.
- ‘Suspension-feeding zooplankton include rotifers, copepods, and cladocerans, with the latter constituting the major grazers in most small freshwater lakes.’
- ‘Adult land-locked fish eat mostly zooplankton, especially larger varieties such as copepods, cladocerans, mysids, and ostracods.’
- ‘Examples of animals in the P. spathula diet are copepods, cladocerans such Daphnia pulex, and ephemeropteran nymphs.’
- ‘The cladocerans are excellent osmoregulators, occurring in freshwater to hypersaline environments.’
- ‘The carapace of cladocerans covers the throrax/abdomen but not the head, and is folded down the midline giving them a bivalved appearance.’
Relating to or denoting cladocerans.
- ‘The predatory cladoceran Cercopagis pengoi has extended its range over the past decade from the Ponto-Caspian basin into the Baltic Sea and the Laurentian Great Lakes.’
- ‘The bosminid-dominated cladoceran population uses both the cyanobacterial- and algal-derived C in approximately equal shares.’
- ‘Egg size, the zoological counterpart of seed size, has not been nearly as well studied, but is known to correlate positively with genome size in cladoceran crustaceans and plethodontid salamanders.’
- ‘The predatory impacts of Cercopagis pengoi, a planktivorous cladoceran were assessed by examining patterns in the distribution and population dynamics of macrozooplankton.’
- ‘Two current areas of research promise to enhance developmental studies on cladoceran hemoglobins, however.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.