One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A group of organisms believed to comprise all the evolutionary descendants of a common ancestor.‘the great ape and human clade’
- ‘The monilophytes refers to the monophyletic clade of horsetails and ferns.’
- ‘Species in the two primary clades in the genus tend to be found in different parts of North America.’
- ‘Was survival of the various clades through various biotic crises just a matter of luck?’
- ‘The same mode of increase has been adopted independently in phylogenetically distinct clades.’
- ‘Fossils are often not ancestors of extant taxa, but instead may be extinct sister groups to modern taxa or clades.’
1950s: from Greek klados ‘branch’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.