Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A group of organisms believed to comprise all the evolutionary descendants of a common ancestor.‘the great ape and human clade’
- ‘Was survival of the various clades through various biotic crises just a matter of luck?’
- ‘The monilophytes refers to the monophyletic clade of horsetails and ferns.’
- ‘Fossils are often not ancestors of extant taxa, but instead may be extinct sister groups to modern taxa or clades.’
- ‘Species in the two primary clades in the genus tend to be found in different parts of North America.’
- ‘The same mode of increase has been adopted independently in phylogenetically distinct clades.’
1950s: from Greek klados branch.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.