One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in some countries) a legally recognized union of a same-sex couple, with rights similar to those of marriage.
- ‘The state already has a statute banning recognition of same-sex marriages and civil unions.’
- ‘A civil union and a marriage will be synonymous in law; there will be no difference.’
- ‘Everyone who supported civil unions but not marriage is caught by your example.’
- ‘Heterosexual couples wishing to commit to each other will have two options: marriage or a civil union.’
- ‘Marriage and civil unions simply make this consent explicit and concrete.’
- ‘Given that lengthy list, I ask how anyone can possibly say that civil unions are not same-sex marriages.’
- ‘They have happily cited the European countries that have provided for civil unions and for marriage.’
- ‘If that is the case, then there certainly aren't enough votes to pass civil unions legislation.’
- ‘We should acknowledge that marriage, civil unions, and de facto relationships are different.’
- ‘The law recognizes the civil union of gay couples but does not term the union a marriage.’
- ‘Not being a church-goer, I don't see any advantage marriage has over a civil union.’
- ‘It is worth remembering that we didn't get civil unions by asking for civil unions.’
- ‘The report says the purpose of the bill is to establish civil unions for different and same sex couples.’
- ‘The civil union law is expressly designed to extend that same protection to same-sex couples.’
- ‘It lost the cause on the civil union legislation, but it stuck by the strategy.’
- ‘The judge who heard their petition decided that he could recognize their civil union.’
- ‘The status of civil unions outside of Vermont is very much an open question.’
- ‘Support for civil unions and same-sex marriage has been steadily dropping in polls.’
- ‘To the extent that civil unions will duplicate marriage, then extending that privilege is clearly unnecessary.’
- ‘The Federal Marriage Amendment would not block a state from recognizing civil unions.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.