One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in some cities) an official directing the administration of a city.
- ‘We have written to the city manager appealing to hold the rates at the current level and not to increase them.’
- ‘Never mind that the city manager appoints the authority's entire board.’
- ‘The report, which landed in the city manager's office in March, notes a serious degradation of the sewerage conveyance and treatment works.’
- ‘One year when I was police chief in San Jose, the city manager sent me a budget that contained no money for equipment.’
- ‘She proposed changes specifically to the section that addresses the roles of council members and the city manager.’
- ‘The city manager and department directors have severance packages that include 18 months of salary.’
- ‘Contentions by opponents that the measure will cover about 200 workers citywide were bolstered by a short report released by the city manager last month.’
- ‘A choir from the city manager's office, who were wearing a range of traditional outfits, entertained crowds.’
- ‘The city manager stressed that there was no reason why the parade shouldn't be as big as any other ones that take place across the country.’
- ‘It also provides for municipal officials to oversee and adjudicate tenders under the city manager, who then reports to council to exercise an oversight role on tenders awarded.’
- ‘I serve as the city manager and, like other public officials across the United States, I have in the last three years paid much greater attention to emergency response issues than ever before.’
- ‘As a result Galveston was one of the first cities in America to have departments for things like water and sanitation and to function under the direction of a city manager.’
- ‘Implementation will be co-ordinated from the corporate planning unit in the office of the city manager.’
- ‘The city manager had initially denied permission for this exercise.’
- ‘He said while they were committed to co-operative governance he felt the city manager's hand had been forced in ordering the cut-offs.’
- ‘The city manager, who was out of town on vacation, issued a weak statement taking full responsibility for the error.’
- ‘I just spoke to the city manager here in Marco Island.’
- ‘They tend, like the city manager quoted above, to see their communities as government property to be managed.’
- ‘We have tried to have a dialogue with the city manager, but he has refused to meet us.’
- ‘Towns on the rebound often have to go through several local elections to find a new city manager who believes in better days ahead.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.