Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A tree of a genus that includes citron, lemon, lime, orange, and grapefruit. Native to Asia, citrus trees are cultivated in warm countries for their fruit.
sour, sharp, sharp-tasting, tangy, bitter, acid, acidic, zesty, piquant, pungent, strong, harsh, unsweetened, vinegary, lemony, citrus, burning, acrid, aceticView synonyms
- ‘Fruit trees, especially citrus, can live more than 75 years, so annual repotting is the best way to maintain the health and vigor of both plant and soil.’
- ‘Bet you didn't know that citrus grows like crazy in the foothills east of Sacramento.’
- ‘Orchards carpet the land in parts of California, and oranges, lemons, limes, and other citrus are familiar trees in home gardens.’
- ‘Rhododendrons, most heathers, camellias, pieris, skimmia, citrus and many others must have acid soil.’
- ‘Apple, willow, birch, poplar, citrus, alder and maple are varieties we have used.’
- ‘If foliage of azaleas, camellias, citrus, gardenias, and others is yellowish with green veins, the plants need iron.’
- ‘Most fruit and berry plants can be planted now, but wait until mid-March, when the soil is warmer, to plant citrus and figs.’
- ‘It also offers a variety of tropical plants, including bromeliads, bougainvillea, citrus, hibiscus, and orchids.’
- ‘Most citrus are native to tropical or semitropical climates.’
- ‘Part of this can be explained by the fact that citrus, which is native to Southeast Asia, hybridizes readily.’
- ‘Later, cultivation was taken up enthusiastically in Japan, where the cold winters made citrus growing difficult.’
- 1.1A fruit from a citrus tree.[as modifier] ‘citrus extracts’
- ‘The bouquet is somewhat muted, but it does eventually yield aromas of black pepper and citrus.’
- ‘Learn how to use fresh or dried herbs, spices, zest from citrus fruit and fruit juices to jazz up your meals.’
- ‘In the course of the comment conversation, I mentioned that the recipe could also be made with other citruses, and Meyer lemons in particular.’
- ‘The herbed mixture of sage, thyme and citrus had been carefully blended with softened butter and left to chill and permeate for a few hours.’
- ‘Seafood dominates, and flavors of soy, ginger and citrus pulsate through many of the sauces.’
- ‘Slice thinly or mince the citrus fruit and add water.’
- ‘Cut the citrus fruit in half vertically, and then slice it thinly, peel and all.’
- ‘‘In the winter, we are very heavy on the citrus, such as mandarin orange,’ reports the restaurant manager.’
- ‘You simply cut the citrus fruit of choice in half, and with little pressing effort the juice magically appears in the container.’
- ‘Open the bottle, and one smells a mixed but light scent of different kinds of fruit including orange, citrus and calamondin orange.’
- ‘Infestations of grapes are often due to a buildup in other soft fruits such as figs, apricots, peaches, nectarines, or citrus.’
- ‘He and hundreds of farmers and their workers are caught up in strict quarantine measures designed to ensure the bacterial disease doesn't spread to the bigger citrus fruit growing areas in other States.’
- ‘Today, there are 345,000 acres of fields growing asparagus, sugar cane, citrus, mangos, artichokes, avocados, peppers and onions.’
- ‘This citrus fruit has an invigorating scent that energizes while helping to relieve tension, frustration, irritability and moodiness.’
- ‘Extremely pure and flavoursome, the ripe citrus fruit is creamy and delicate with a subtlety and complexity you don't normally expect at this price.’
- ‘First, if you hope to harvest fruit, choose a naturally acidic citrus, not a sweet orange or grapefruit.’
- ‘Armed with these and some fruit (including the first of winter's citruses, a box of Satsuma mandarins), we headed out to Discovery Park.’
- ‘Barley, wheat, citrus, vegetables, olives, and livestock are produced for subsistence and for trade.’
- ‘This study provides yet more evidence for the disease-preventive effects of vitamin C and gives us another reason to load up on plenty of foods rich in this nutrient including citrus fruit, broccoli, tomatoes and green peppers.’
- ‘The fertile soil of the valleys produces a wide variety of fruits and vegetables, including citrus, sugarcane, watermelons, bananas, yams, and beans.’
Latin, citron tree, thuja.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.