One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in decorating) failure of paint to adhere properly to a surface.
- ‘As with cissing, peeling may also occur if paint has been applied on a very shiny surface.’
- ‘Poor degreasing will not remove the grease and graphite on the profile surface which could cause cissing and poor coating adhesion.’
- ‘More particularly, it relates to an additive to aqueous paint for improving the wetability thereof for preventing coating defects such as craters, cissing and pinholes.’
- ‘Step 1: Rub over the panel with a damp sponge and Rottenstone powder to eliminate cissing.’
- ‘Here, wetting defects, such as cissing, crawling and even bad adhesion of the paint film occur.’
Late 19th century: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.