Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting or relating to a molecular structure in which two particular atoms or groups lie on the same side of a given plane in the molecule, in particular denoting an isomer in which substituents at opposite ends of a carbon–carbon double bond are on the same side of the bond.‘the cis isomer of stilbene’Compare with trans
- ‘But ultraviolet light converts the molecule to the cis isomer, in which both propellers are on the same side.’
- ‘Examples of stereoisomers include the cis and trans isomers of the alkenes.’
- ‘Greater reductions occur when cis double bonds are located near the middle of the acyl chains.’
- ‘For example, the cis double bond at the centre of the fatty chain in erucamide and oleamide appears vital for slip performance.’
- ‘As in our system, here again the cis isomer remains photoactive.’
Independent usage of cis-.
- ‘we do not make arbitrary distinctions between trans and cis women’short for cisgender
- ‘To witness black cis women and trans women support one another is indeed a radical representation of the possibilities of black solidarity.’
- ‘Cooper's take on masculinity is that all of us—male or female, trans or cis—take it for granted, fail to question it, and thus are "complicit" with it.’
- ‘They're also implicitly acknowledging that gender is never fixed, it is never a constant for anyone, cis or trans.’
- ‘It's been really amazing to see the response from our cis allies against transphobia from parts of the radical feminist community.’
- ‘I wasn't trying to set up a competition or hierarchy between trans and cis people.’
- ‘Trans people tend to be more aware of transphobia than most cis people are.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.