One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Using many words where fewer would do, especially in a deliberate attempt to be vague or evasive; long-winded.‘he has a meandering, circumlocutory speaking style’
periphrastic, circuitous, indirect, roundaboutView synonyms
- ‘Breakfast rooms across India display a vista of glazed eyes ploughing wearily through the turgid, circumlocutory language of the morning papers.’
- ‘After 20 years in the Senate, he has developed a meandering, circumlocutory speaking style.’
- ‘Other television station announcers had been less circumlocutory in declaring the result.’
- ‘Joe's conversational exchanges with the convalescent Pip are hilariously circumlocutory.’
- ‘His theories are often circumlocutory and warped.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.