Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The system that circulates blood and lymph through the body, consisting of the heart, blood vessels, blood, lymph, and the lymphatic vessels and glands.Also called cardiovascular system
- ‘Cardiovascular disease is an umbrella term used to identify a range of diseases that affect the heart and circulatory system.’
- ‘Then, as the embryonic circulatory system develops, blood vessels grow into the villi on the implanted side of the embryo; this becomes the fetal component of the placenta.’
- ‘Then he moved to the muscular system, the skeletal system, the circulatory system, and the lymphatic system, in that specific order.’
- ‘A healthy banking system is to an economy what a healthy circulatory system is to a body.’
- ‘The origin of these endothelial cells, which play a vital role in the body's circulatory system and internal organs, had been uncertain.’
- ‘Once they do, they help the tumor to form its own robust network of blood vessels, weaving a circulatory system throughout the tumor mass.’
- ‘Their effects have been examined on the circulatory system, the digestive system, and exoskeletal muscles.’
- ‘The mouth is the gateway to the entire body and is a major influence on important areas, including the digestive tract, heart, circulatory system and the brain.’
- ‘Hormones - produced by the endocrine system - are also transported through the blood in our circulatory system.’
- ‘Dance therapy gives a person substantial exercise, strengthens the heart, lungs, circulatory system, and burns calories and cuts down fat.’
- ‘The circulatory system includes a heart that pumps blood into an open body cavity or hemocoel.’
- ‘The circulatory system includes the heart, blood, and blood vessels.’
- ‘These cells move throughout the body through the circulatory system or through the lymphatic system, often lodging in tiny capillaries.’
- ‘While the damage is hidden with no outward sign, as in the case of affected lymph circulatory systems or kidneys, diagnosis is difficult.’
- ‘The heart, lungs, and blood vessels make up the circulatory system of the human body.’
- ‘The right ventricle pumps blood throughout the circulatory system via the aorta and is the major pumping chamber of the heart.’
- ‘The main intention of therapeutic massage is to promote general relaxation and muscular relaxation, and to enhance the body's circulatory system.’
- ‘It undermines regulation of the circulatory system so that the heart muscle works harder and the blood vessels are subject to damage by blood flow turbulence.’
- ‘Our blood is pumped by a four-chambered heart through a closed circulatory system with arteries and veins; it does not just slosh around in our body cavity.’
- ‘Aerobic exercise increases your breathing and heart rate, which can improve the health of your heart, lungs and circulatory system.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.