One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Unite in defence of a common interest.‘the Lakers quickly circled the wagons, against the Spurs and the crowd’
- ‘Conservatives circled the wagons around him after his comments about homosexuality.’
- ‘The establishment's response has been to circle the wagons.’
- ‘The Cuban people continue to circle the wagons around him in response to efforts to bring down his government.’
- ‘We all went through some tough times together, but we really circled the wagons.’
- ‘We seem to be circling the wagons for self-protection.’
- ‘They want to circle the wagons and say there's no problem.’
- ‘As we expected, you are trying to circle the wagons to protect your hold on power.’
- ‘The public health people have been circling the wagons to cover up the facts!’
- ‘All professional organizations are known to circle the wagons at the first signs of trouble.’
- ‘The press office responded to criticism by circling the wagons and freezing out reporters.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.