One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A country dance or folk dance in which dancers form a circle.
- ‘Sometimes they entertain themselves by holding an athen, a sort of circle dance performed to the beat of a big drum.’
- ‘The nijemo kolo is a circle dance performed to foot stamping rather than music.’
- ‘Everyone joins in the gwila, or circle dance, which often occurs spontaneously when a joyous event occurs.’
- ‘He traveled to various places collecting the various dances and eventually the circle dance culture spread.’
- ‘They then joined in the circle dance a group had started and danced till they couldn't stand.’
- ‘Village leaders rattle gourd instruments and chanting men in body paint perform circle dances during their annual festivals.’
- ‘Many Macedonian dances are based on the Horo, or circle dance.’
- ‘In Act Two the Gypsy chorus was delightfully portrayed, a circle dance of zest and complex choreography.’
- ‘When villagers celebrated with a circle dance inside a barn, one coarse peasant let out a rough, insinuating whistle.’
- ‘The national dance is the hora, a circle dance performed at festive occasions.’
- ‘I recall my father saying to my mother, watching my sister in a circle dance at the synagogue reception, how graceful she is.’
- ‘Despite the shaky rhythms of the DJ, a circle dance of revellers developed.’
- ‘Someone led us in a circle dance, which broke the ice.’
- ‘The popular kolo or circle dance is performed to the accompaniment of the tamburitsa, a traditional mandolin-like stringed instrument.’
- ‘Their dances include the punta dance and the hunguhungu, a circle dance.’
- ‘They turned twice, sharply cutting the edges of their lopsided circle dance.’
- ‘The best-known Bulgarian folk dance is the horo, a fast, swirling circle dance.’
- ‘I once fantasized that I would celebrate my retirement with a large party, where all the colleagues and students who were important to me would reappear and would do one last circle dance.’
- ‘Dancing certainly existed, probably generally performed to verse singing, and is likely to have taken the form of circle dances.’
- ‘After taking his bride, we all accompanied them into the street filled with music and the Horo, the traditional circle dance.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.