Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The 16th century as a period of Italian art, architecture, or literature, with a reversion to classical forms.
- ‘In the late cinquecento, Florentine patrons seized upon the cloister lunette fresco cycle as an ideal format for reformist didactic painting.’
- ‘Benedetto Montagna worked as a painter and engraver well into the cinquecento.’
- ‘In the middle of the cinquecento, at least in certain cultivated circles, there was a taste for figures in paintings that ambiguously combined male and female characteristics.’
- ‘He was an accomplished decorator in the cinquecento style.’
- ‘Such complexity of meanings appealed marvelously to learned patrons and artists of the cinquecento.’
Italian, literally 500 (shortened from milcinquecento 1500) used with reference to the years 1500–99.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.