Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who is fond of the cinema.‘the film is mostly known only to dedicated cinephiles’
- ‘For cinephiles and would-be film-makers, Coppola's directorial debut makes for an excellent reference point and source of ideas.’
- ‘It is not an exaggeration to say that for several generations of film-makers and cinephiles, Bergman practically defined cinema.’
- ‘Growing up in the slums of Hong Kong, he became an avid cinephile, particularly interested in European, American and Japanese cinema.’
- ‘Each piece discussed the ways in which we read images and documentaries, from our perspective as cinephiles.’
- ‘She wanted to see Mullholand Drive, as did I, but the start time was too late for we aging cinephiles.’
- ‘For many cinephiles, the picture is a frustratingly ignored gem.’
- ‘The film is narrated through the eyes of the young cinephile, Toto, and Toto's world is the world of film.’
- ‘He repeatedly heard the complaint from cinephiles that there are no serious, adult dramas on studio schedules.’
- ‘I commend Zizek for being one of the great cinephiles among the upper echelon of today's intelligentsia.’
- ‘These works were a crucial part of many cinephiles ' introduction to the art of film.’
- ‘We had just come from one of our lunches, meetings filled with the argumentative yet respectful conversation of committed cinephiles.’
- ‘Critics who are truly cinephiles, I believe, often champion extremes.’
- ‘I look forward to this film eagerly, as do most cinephiles.’
- ‘It's not unusual for a movie to incite a buzz among cinephiles.’
- ‘In the mind of the cinephile, three packed screens of Argentinean ennui at the local multiplex would be paradise.’
- ‘He's already become a formidable, almost mythical figure to many hardcore cinephiles and critics, the kind of filmmaker who gets described in magical, visionary terms.’
- ‘With the end of the summer blockbuster season, it's once again safe for thinking cinephiles to begin making their way back into the theaters.’
- ‘We might also regard the cinephile who seeks to view or ‘collect’ the maximum number of films possible as a variant of the film historian.’
- ‘I have always intuitively felt that, as it is for so many cinephiles, my relationship to film has deeply affected the way I see and know the world.’
- ‘This article has simply attempted to encourage cinephiles to seek out these beautiful films.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.