Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The art of photography and camerawork in film-making:‘home movie footage with superb cinematography’
- ‘The cinematography, editing and soundtrack are, at least, competent.’
- ‘Music, cinematography, and direction all work in unison, creating a sequence of terrible beauty.’
- ‘The photography / cinematography was to a large extent a product of its time, constrained by primitive technology.’
- ‘For the rich cinematography of Bernardo Bertolucci or the seismic shocks of Star Wars, your local cinema was once the only place to go.’
- ‘This is enhanced by languid cinematography, capturing scenes of the countryside and the small town in exquisite detail.’
- ‘It's a pity that he ruins his otherwise commendable film with some extremely lousy cinematography.’
- ‘Who can forget David Lean's wintry cinematography in the film Dr Zhivago?’
- ‘I was ecstatic because I will learn all aspects of film making such as directing, editing and cinematography.’
- ‘The film looks beautiful with striking cinematography, bolstered by some excellent choices of locations.’
- ‘Emile is the final part of the trilogy and boasts impressive cinematography and well crafted scenes.’
- ‘The cinematography is luminous, the soundtrack is superb - an excellent film all around.’
- ‘As a piece of film-making it's first class, with wonderful cinematography and acting.’
- ‘The cinematography and framing are both graceful and purposeful, lending a real gravity to certain scenes.’
- ‘Recently, however, she had been very fascinated by photography and cinematography.’
- ‘A great cast did total justice to the wonderful screenplay, captivating cinematography and strong direction.’
- ‘Be it ad photography or cinematography, he works with equal zeal.’
- ‘From there she went to the National Film and Television School, specialising in cinematography and direction.’
- ‘The cinematography captures every freezing detail of Lake Tahoe's cold, clear water and crisp blue mountain skies.’
- ‘The cinematography is beautiful and it's shot like a nature documentary.’
- ‘The cinematography and editing are both inventive, too.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.