Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to the Cimmerians.
indistinct, faint, vague, ill-defined, unclear, blurred, blurry, misty, hazy, foggy, veiled, cloudy, clouded, nebulous, fuzzyView synonyms
- ‘Cimmeria begins its collision with Laurasia to form the Cimmerian orogeny.’
- ‘A full Jurassic succession is rarely preserved in the southern North Sea Basin because of erosion associated with the late Cimmerian unconformity.’
- ‘Throughout this interval the Indo-China, Sibumasu and Cimmerian mini-continents lay just to the south/west of South China and were slowly amalgamating with that block.’
- ‘Like other blocks of the Cimmerian continent, the Baoshan block rifted from Gondwanaland.’
- ‘The Cimmerian islands, the present Turkey, Iran and Tibet, broke completely free of the Australian craton and moved rapidly to the north.’
1A member of an ancient nomadic people who overran Asia Minor in the 7th century bc.
- ‘The first identifiable groups to populate what is now Ukraine were Cimmerians, Scythians, Sarmatians, and Goths, among other nomadic peoples who arrived throughout the first millennium B.C.’
- ‘Finally, when I got to the mission where the Vikings and Cimmerians were to join forces, the game couldn't load the mission without crashing.’
A member of a mythical people living in perpetual mist and darkness near the land of the dead.
- ‘His eyes adjusted to the now familiar gloom of the Cimmerian's headquarters.’
- ‘There the people dwell, Of the Cimmerians, in eternal cloud And darkness.’
Via Latin from Greek Kimmerios + -an.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.