One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of an ancient nomadic people who overran Asia Minor in the 7th century BC.
- ‘The first identifiable groups to populate what is now Ukraine were Cimmerians, Scythians, Sarmatians, and Goths, among other nomadic peoples who arrived throughout the first millennium B.C.’
- ‘Finally, when I got to the mission where the Vikings and Cimmerians were to join forces, the game couldn't load the mission without crashing.’
A member of a mythical people living in perpetual mist and darkness near the land of the dead.
- ‘There the people dwell, Of the Cimmerians, in eternal cloud And darkness.’
- ‘His eyes adjusted to the now familiar gloom of the Cimmerian's headquarters.’
1Relating to the ancient Cimmerians.‘the tombs of the Cimmerian kings’
- ‘Like other blocks of the Cimmerian continent, the Baoshan block rifted from Gondwanaland.’
- ‘Throughout this interval the Indo-China, Sibumasu and Cimmerian mini-continents lay just to the south/west of South China and were slowly amalgamating with that block.’
- ‘The Cimmerian islands, the present Turkey, Iran and Tibet, broke completely free of the Australian craton and moved rapidly to the north.’
- ‘Cimmeria begins its collision with Laurasia to form the Cimmerian orogeny.’
- ‘A full Jurassic succession is rarely preserved in the southern North Sea Basin because of erosion associated with the late Cimmerian unconformity.’
2Relating to or characteristic of the mythical Cimmerians or the perpetual mist and darkness in which they lived.‘a dense fog shrouded the lonely mountain in Cimmerian darkness’
Via Latin from Greek Kimmerios + -an.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.