Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or involving cilia.‘ciliary action’‘ciliary tracts’
- ‘These spines contain epidermal cells and ciliary sensory cells.’
- ‘Purkinje and his pupil, Gustav Valentin, extensively studied ciliary movement.’
- ‘Cigarette smoking is known to affect ciliary action in the nasopharynx and respiratory tract.’
- ‘Escudier and coworkers studied the ciliary ultrastructure of 40 patients who had respiratory tract infections.’
- ‘Food is entrapped in mucous and transported by ciliary action to the esophagus.’
Relating to the eyelashes or eyelids.
- ‘The cylopegic drops will relieve ciliary spasm and dilate the pupil.’
- ‘Intense ciliary and conjunctival hyperemia occurs, and diffuse eye swelling may occur, including the eyelids.’
- 2.1Relating to the ciliary body of the eye.
- ‘It clings to the retina, the ciliary epithelium, and the margin of the optic nerve.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.