One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A slot machine that dispenses cigarettes.
- ‘Once, finding change for the cigarette machine was as much a part of a Yorkshire night out as a pint and a game of darts.’
- ‘This former cigarette machine now distributes small-scale works of art and miscellaneous artful products.’
- ‘I was kicking a cigarette machine that didn't work in the members' enclosure.’
- ‘In fact, there was a cigarette machine in the lobby of our hotel.’
- ‘Near the washrooms (probably where, decades ago, the cigarette machine used to be) were two table-top videogames.’
- ‘An unknown amount of cash was also taken from a cigarette machine, Wilks said.’
- ‘They emptied the cigarette machine and broke into a small petty cash safe and stole about £200.’
- ‘She said a video lottery machine, a cigarette machine and a safe were also targeted during the break-in.’
- ‘We still need Irish coins around the place to give change for the cigarette machine and telephone.’
- ‘A minimum of two people would be needed to lift a cigarette machine.’
- ‘I don't smoke, but people are forever asking me if I have five £1 coins for the cigarette machine.’
- ‘But at 11:30 pm I'd be scouring Harrogate for a cigarette machine.’
- ‘They re-entered the premises and stole cash from three slot machines and a cigarette machine.’
- ‘The 830,000 cigarette machines that sit on street-corners across the country were all said to be ready for business in both euro and mark from 1 January.’
- ‘Pubs and clubs usually have no control over cigarette machines on their premises and outside contractors pay a fee to provide this service.’
- ‘‘Hot dog,’ Bobby shouted to himself as he made his way up the bar toward the small lobby where the cigarette machine was located.’
- ‘He nodded politely, then went over to the cigarette machine, sliding his hand flat into the pocket of his tight jeans to scoop out loose change.’
- ‘Meanwhile with cigarette machines not needed any more in pubs it will be interesting to see what the proprietors of these machines will replace them with.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.